I recently had the privilege of listening to two excellent discussions. The first was on the concept of pre-existence in the writings of second temple period Hebrews, and the second was on the nature of pre-existence in the gospel of John (particularly in regards to the person of Christ). Rather than explain it all here, I'll let Dr. Dustin Smith (dustinmartyr.wordpress.com) tell you all about it.
Here is part 1: Pre-Existence in Ancient Jewish Thought
Here is part 2: The Pre-Existence of Jesus in the Gospel of John
I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will remove your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. I will place My Spirit within you and cause you to follow My statutes and carefully observe My ordinances. (Ezekiel 36:26-27 HCSB)
1. The new heart relationship with Yahweh, will have a new heart relationship with His law - every single time.
2. The leading of the Holy Spirit is never contrary to the Holy Law.
3. The Holy Spirit is given to the house of Israel to cause them to obey the Holy law. Without the Spirit, it’s impossible.
4. Israelites do not possess the new heart, new spirit, or Yahweh's Spirit by nature. By nature they have hearts of stone. New hearts must be given to them.
5. Yahweh does not change or abrogate His law. He changes the stony hearts of His people to keep His law.
6. If Yahweh says, “I will make you clean,” then you will be made clean because it’s a supernatural work, not of man.
7. To try and separate the Spirit from the law is futile. The Spirit is given so that the law can be followed.
8. Good works are the effect of a cause placed in man, by Yahweh. Therefore He should get 100% of the credit.
Blog by Matthew Janzen. Lover of Yahweh, Yeshua, my wife and 5 children. All else is commentary.